Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dear Pat Gillick, Please Don't Trade Rowand!


UPDATED 2/3/07

Rumors have surfaced about the possibility of the Phillies trading Aaron Rowand for some help in the bullpen. Mostly from ESPN's Buster Olney. I know the Phils could use some arms in the later innings to finish the fine job we know our starters will do this season, but I can't bring myself to accept the trading of Rowand. I like Rowand, because he plays the game like it should be played. He plays an excellent outfield, and his veteran bat would be a nice fit in this lineup. So maybe he's not a #2 hitter, but he's a great 6 or 7 guy.

Rowand is the epitomy of the Philadelphia ballplayer. I'd like to see Gillick use Leiber as trade bate for bullpen help as opposed to Rowand. And I understand we have some outfield prospects waiting in the wings....namely Jayson Werth, Michael Bourn and Chris Roberson who's doing well in winter ball, but I just don't want to see them get rid of Rowand. When he's been healthy he's been great for us.

Pat, I know you're new to the city, and you've done great things so far... but let's keep the players that bleed Phillies red. It will pay off in the long run.

UPDATE 1/28/07 : The Phillies website has an article about our beloved Rowand.

UPDATE 2/1/07: The Trade Rumor has not gone away... Rowand for Linebrink, probably unlikely.

The catch below proves that Rowand is worthy to wear the stripes.





2 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Rowand is a fan favorite and for good reason, but if he could bring us Scott Linebrink, well it's a good trade. Rowand has heart and all of those other intangibles, but he's replaceable...just not with Chris Roberson...yuck! If Gillick trades Rowand for bullpen help, he can then try to trade Lieber for OF help.

klkatz said...

no doubt linebrink is a stopper, but perhaps i'm a bit selfish in wanting to keep guys like Rowand around. he's a pleasure to watch. We'll see how it unfolds.