Thursday, March 22, 2007

Freddy Not Ready; Don't Sweat It

Freddy Garcia left yesterday's game with tightness in his bicep. Though this is never a good sign, but don't sweat it. I'm encouraged by the fact that we still have Jon Lieber around.

I've said time and time again that we should keep 6 starters for something like this. I was predicting a Cole Hamels back spasm or a blister of some sort early in the season, but I didn't predict this.

Despite Garcia's injury, all is not lost. We're not sure how long he'll be out, and we have a serviceable replacement. We are in a much better situation than we were last year in the fact that we still have 5 quality starters that many teams would love to have.

What this injury may do is increase the urgency to trade Aaron Rowand. With the youth on this team, and the lack of leadership from Burrell, I think someone like Rowand is needed. What's funny about this statement, is that Rowand is only 29 years old. This says a lot about the future of this ball club.

Lieber is not 29. Jon Lieber is 36. It's ironic that 36 is also the number of donuts Lieber eats the day before his scheduled starts. Lieber is a veteran and will undoubtedly provide leadership for this ball club. As will Jaime Moyer. The oldest of the other four starters is Garcia at age 30. Amazing youth on this ball club.

Lieber has already shown leadership in the fact that he has graciously accepted his role in the bullpen. He's expressed his desire to start, but has not made a stink about losing that status.

I'm disappointed," Lieber said. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I'm going to do it for these guys in here, but I think I can still start. That was my mind-frame this offseason, to better myself. I signed here to be a starter."
Keeping Lieber around turned out to be a good thing. Here is what I see happening. Garcia is out for a few weeks. Lieber takes his spot in the rotation, but not as the #1. Myers is now our opening day starter. Garcia will return, spend a few days in the pen, and then will be inserted into the rotation. However, I think he'll replace whoever it is that is struggling. If Lieber has a desire to start, now is his time to earn his keep. If he goes 3-0 with a 2.43 ERA, then we'll leave him be and replace someone else.

This injury is a bad thing, I'm not downplaying that, but I the situation is definitely more manageable with the presence of Lieber.

1 comment:

Skeeter said...

This situation is very manageable, but look who our manager is. That is what scares me most.