Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Tao of Dykstra

Before Aaron Rowand, the Phillies had Lenny Dykstra. Before Dykstra we had Pete Rose. These are my type of ball players. These are the guys who will do anything to win.

When ever someone asks me the question: "If you could clone any 3 Major League baseball players of all time, 3 times, to field a team of 9. Who would it be?" (I usually ask the question, but anyway...)

It is inevitable that I preface my response with: "I know my guys are going to beat your guys because my guys play to win."

And then I proceed to say..."Lenny Dykstra"... I pause to make it more dramatic..."Pete Rose.." Another pause... "and Ty Cobb."

Having said that, I sometimes get funny looks like I've just named Tinkers, Evers and Chance. And sometimes, here in Atlanta, I'll get "Who's Lenny Dykstra?", which makes me want to turn South Philly on them and punch them in the face as if they've made a move on my sister... but, I regress and simply explain to them the 'Tao of the Dude'.

After my explanation of Petey bowling over Ray Fosse in an All-Star game, followed by a story about how Ty Cobb would meticulously watch every pitcher and adjust his approach to each hurler, to the timely hitting of Dykstra in the '93 post-season spotlight.

But I know my team would beat anybody's team of Ruth, Mays and A-Rod, or Aaron, Bonds and Henderson, simply because I know my guys want it more.

Which brings me to the real reason of my post. My new Lenny Dykstra t-shirt. Now there are some Phillies phans who might balk at this purchase. Still others may applaud me. But I'm happy to say that I'm now the proud owner of a Lenny Dykstra, Mets #4 t-shirt. I'm not ashamed to wear a Mets jersey because it is a tribute to my phavorite Phil of all time... 'The Dude'.

In college I was a Paul O'Neill fan and had a similar Paul O'Neill #21 t-shirt. Despite the fact that I was a die hard Phils fan, I was proud prove that was an O'Neill backer and would root for the Yanks, only to see O'Neill play deeper in the post-season.

I wore my t-shirt for the first time Saturday morning. After my wife and I sat down at a Jewish Deli/Bagel shop and ordered our selves a hearty brunch, a gentleman seated next to us comments on my shirt. He liked it and asked me where I got it. I tell him and then turn to my wife and smile. I was proud of my Dykstra t-shirt. True baseball fans appreciate his play. Dykstra brings joy to me and the gentleman next to us. Dykstra makes the world go 'round. The Tao of Dykstra.

PS - I blogged about the chronology of my phavorite Phils through the years a little while back, which of course includes Dykstra.

PSS - Kevin Curtis signed with the Eagles and plays football like Dykstra plays baseball. Check out the video of Kevin Curtis on my Eagles blog, then check out the comparison to Pinkston. It's funny.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I appreciate your love for Nails, I do have reservations about you wearing a Mets tshirt! They are still the enemy, even if Dykstra had some great years for them.

klkatz said...

McD, I can understand your reservations... but please rest assured that I wouldn't wear it at the ballpark...

I'm sure we all have our secret affinities for players on 'the dark side'... I like Tom Brady...

ssshhhh!

Skeeter said...

and I used to like David Wright before I saw that he was really a woman and posed for GQ Magazine.

Anonymous said...

Now Tom Brady I can respect. But the Mets? Never!

GM-Carson said...

Nails is the f'n man!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site phillieschronicles.blogspot.com
Is this possible?