Thursday, May 17, 2007

No Hit Etiquette; To Bunt or Not to Bunt?

It was brought to my attention that Cole Hamels' perfect game was nearly compromised in the 5th inning, when the Brewers' outfielder Corey Hart attempted a bunt.

Being that I didn't see the game, I had no idea this had occured until tonight when I saw this comment, by meech.one on "We Should Be GMs"...

"You forgot the BMOTW (Bitch Move Of The Week) when Corey Hart tried to break up the perfect game in the 5th inning with a 2-out, nobody on bunt attempt. That's grounds for a bean ball if you axe me. "
I totally disagree with this being called a 'bitch move'. This same thing happened to Curt Schilling a few years back, when Ben Davis broke up a Schilling no-hit bid in the 8th inning with bunt single. I think I remember Curt Schilling applauding Davis for doing it. Schilling probably would have done the same thing. Schilling says he can't get pissed about it. .

Here was the situation... The two teams were tied for first place about a third of the way through the season. The D-backs were up 2-0. Davis' bunt allowed the tying run to come to the plate. Schilling walked that guy and later gave up two more hits anyway. The game ended 3-1. Here is a box score of the game. (our beloved Adam Eaton was on the losing side of the game... he too pitched a complete game... tough luck.)

Now, I don't know about you, but if I was tied for first place I play to win. I don't abide by some stupid rule about "earning" your way on base after the 6th in a no-hit bid... Bullshit. Get on base any way you can. A bunt is not an easy thing to do. If it were, don't you think you'd see more of them? Lean into one. Crowd the plate.

I'm a gamer. I played baseball in college where I was hit by 19 pitches in 28 games as a junior. And yes, some of them may have been in the strike zone.. but I got on base... a lot and scored a lot of runs....and played to win the game. Period.

Bob Brenly and the Arizona ballclub were complaining about `unwritten rules' and `codes,' but what about the Golden Rule of baseball--play to win?

Enough Said...

I applaud Corey Hart, for going against the grain,...wearing his sunglasses at night, attempting the bunt and playing the game to win.

PS - Cole Hamels will have other opportunities to create history. I have no doubt. And it isn't it nice to see Curt Schilling. That guy's a gamer. I'm still hoping he decides to end his career in Philadelphia and helps us win a World Series.

No comments: