Thursday, June 14, 2007

B-B-B-B-Boyz II Men...

Boys to men... this appears to be the mantra of the most recent Phillies surge... Come Friday, we'll really be able to separate the men from the boys when the Phillies square off against a very strong Detroit Tigers team.

Incidentally, Friday night Philly's own Boyz II Men will be honored at the 4th Annual Sound of Philadelphia/Black Music Month, for their work in the community during a pre-game tribute. I'll be sure to show up early, grab a Schmitter and a Lager and watch the awards ceremony.

I will actually be in attendance Friday night... but not because Motown Philly is back again, (go...go...) doin' a little east coast swing. But because of the one and only Placido Polanco, and I'm taking my mother-in-laws husband, kind of my second step-dad to the ballpark for father's day. I convinced my wife it was a good idea for the four of us... and I'm happy because I get to see Polanco play.
Placido Polanco plays the game the way the game should be played. He's batting .344 this year and I've always said that he will win a batting title before his career is up. If he stays healthy. The biggest reason I'd say that is because he always puts the ball in play. He rarely strikes out... here are his statistics to date.

.343 BA, 15 doubles, 2 triples, 44 runs, 33 RBI, and he's only struck out 13 times in 251 ABs.

He's been known to get hurt a lot, which doesn't bode well for staying in a groove and staying consistent. If Polanco can stay healthy I see no reason why he wouldn't keep up his current pace.

I remember being at the Phils game, when my sister and I used to have the Sunday plan and Polanco had just hit a double... then he did something that I teach my ballplayers (I was a high school coach in Atlanta, and played in college, so I know what I"m talking about)... What he did was stand on second base, and look to see where all the outfielders were standing. What this does is gives him the ability to get a better jump on the ball based on his knowledge of the outfielder's placement. If he knows they're playing a right handed hitter to pull, and the center fielder is shading to left, then a ball hit in the gap in right center, will most likely get through and it allows him to score, as opposed to stopping at third if the ball is cut off. It seems simple, but you won't find anyone else doing that. I'm sure Dave Lopes teaches that...but it was refreshing to see.

If you're at the game... look for me.. .i'll be wearing a Phillies' hat, and rooting for Polanco... (and the Phils of course)
I'll keep you updated on Polanco's stats as the season progresses.
Come Friday... will the Phillies officially turn from boys to men, and take hold of this wacky NL East? Things are looking good... and all of a sudden the radio talk show hosts will jump back on the bandwagon and take back everything they've said about Gillick and Montgomery... they sure are fickle.

3 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Aaron Rowand's performance thus far this season has been awesome. I was one who wanted him traded for relief help, but thank goodness Gillick held on to him.

I'm scared about this upcoming series with Detroit, they're a force to be reckoned with.

I wish Polanco was our 3rd baseman. But instead Wade held on to the ass-hat fairy-footed David Bell...I hate him!

Anonymous said...

It was a shame Polanco was traded seeing how the Phillies have nothing to show for that trade now. Urbina is rotting away in a Venezuelan prison and Ramon Martinez is God knows where.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and it seemed like a good idea to get bullpen help at the time. But man would it be sweet to have Polanco instead of Wes "One Home Run" Helms and "No Hit" Nunez.

klkatz said...

It was nice to make room for Utley, and I loved the fact that PP accepted arbitration for one year, to play with us... but why, oh why did we keep Bell instead of Polanco? He was willing to play third base as long as he played everyday...